Some learning-disabled people praise 4chan because they think than 4channers are skillful master trolls.
If you want to free yourself from the chains of ignorance, read on.
Disenchanted Scholar hasn’t gotten the memo:
I have a position which allows me to connect the dots here.
The Social Justice Warrior princesses who decided to try and take on among the most hardcore perverts on the entire net just because they look at Johnlock erotic fanart featuring red pants found out what a real raid looks like. They tried to “raid” 4chan, a feat never accomplished, on the 4th July this year.
The most famous thing about 4chan is that it got raided, and stayed occupied by FEDS.
Some other blogger who is vastly better-informed wrote the essential facts of which the disenchanted scholar was ignorant:
In early 2008, the owner/administrator of 4chan was approached by representatives af the Arizona ICAC in cooperation with the U.S. Department of Justice and federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
• The agents approached 4chan’s administrator following a year-long investigation into the site. Of concern to the Doj, ICE, and AZ-ICAC representatives was the routine trafficking of Child Sexual Abuse (CSA) images and links on 4chan.org’s /b/ board among others.
• Conventional procedure in CSA trafficking investigations calls for the unannounced seizure of the offending web site’s server(s) and forensic examination of its HTTP daemon’s and forum software’s log files. After (or while) suspect IP addresses and corresponding time stamps are isolated. subpoenas are sent to the appropriate isps. compelling them to divulge account holder identification Information
• It was explained to 4chan’s administrator that law enforcement was initially prepared to move against him with the seizure of his servers but that its rapid content purging system and enormous user population (14 000 unique tisitors per hour 10.000.000+ per month) would have rendered conventional CSA investigation techniques difficult CSA postings were “drive-by” in nature and quick to expire If seized 4chan’s servers would yield only trivial criminal evidence those particular CSA postings which were active (or forensically recoverable) at the time of the seizure itself.
• 4chan’s administrator was presented an ultimatum seizure of his servers anyway (and the possibility of charges being brought against him for his having never reported the CSA posters on his site to NCMEC) or cooperation. (The way the information came down, two agents were actively standing by in the data center ready to haul 4chan’s servers away the moment he refused the refused )
• Needless to say. 4chan’s administrator decided that cooperation was in his best Interest.
With me so far? The result of this cooperation bloomed into the following changes quietly made to 4chan’s servers which here now been in place for some time:
• 4chan threads no longer truly “expire.” Instead, they are “archived” by virtue of becoming web browser-accessible only through alternate Apache.
• Beginning shortly after the cooperation between 4chan’s administrator and law enforcement began, the administrator of 4chan was advised by the law enforcement agencies working the case to stay off of /b/ completely. Later he was ordered to remote all “civilian’ moderators/janitors from /b/ and to hand the /b/ moderation accounts exclusively to the law enforcement agents working 4chan – so they could more quickly trap and take down CSA materials.
• Finally. and also earlier this year 4chan’s servers WERE effectively “seized.” They were moved out of the old data center in Los Angeles and placed into a nearby facility directly controlled by an unnamed federal law enforcement agency. There’s now just plain gigabit Ethernet fiber between the web site’s current tier 1 transit provider and the 4chan servers inside that factlity with no commercial hosting provider involved to speak of. This I have no further information on or what the implications are.
• So there you have it. Because conventional approaches to combating CSA trafficking were thought fruitless against 4chan, the administrator was “convinced” to cooperate with a sting operation …
If you had been ignorant up to this point, you now have one less excuse.